It's been a long time since I've blogged. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but as with all things that I give myself to do, if I'm not keeping up on it, I beat myself up about it. So much has happened and I could go back and try to recap the last few months, but instead, I'm just going back 3 days.
The kids were home on Mon and Tues because of the "holiday" and teacher prep day. We have really been blessed because Luca can work from home occasionally and he chose to stay home Monday allowing me to go to school and work. Tuesday, I didn't have work at all or school till late so I got to be home (no babysitter!) What an historic day Tuesday was! What an opportunity I had to be with my children and teach them about the exciting events that occurred. (No matter what your political views, Tuesday's inauguration was a momentous occasion) I remember many years ago when my mom and dad woke me up to watch the late news because the Berlin wall came down--history in the making! Well...I didn't watch the inauguration, I didn't talk to my kids about it, we didn't even turn the TV on. Instead, we made buckwheat-sweet potato waffles, worked on Gracie's science fair project, read stories, played games, and eventually watched movies. Stayed in our jammies till it was time for me to leave. It was a pleasant day, with happy girls. No fights or yelling, no rushing. But, as I got in my car to head up to school, I heard all the reports and broadcasts about the inauguration, parents calling in to radio shows talking about how they made sure their kids witnessed the event, and the guilt came. I'm not going to poll anyone about whether I was a good mom or bad mom, because I have great friends who will stand up for me. Plus, I can beat up on myself if that's what I'm after. I think we all just need a reminder that no matter what we do with our kids, we will always wonder whether it is the absolute best choice. (I'm talking about choosing between two good choices, not the black-and-white obvious right vs. wrong ones) One thing I do know--it was wonderful to spend that time with the girls and just be MOM with no other responsibilities coloring our time together.



5 comments:
I didn't watch it either. Jon would be mad. I was working at the daycare. and playing with Abbi. I am glad you got to spend a lot of time with your girls. i am sure they will remember it forever!!
Thanks Kati! I didn't know if anyone would even be reading my blog anymore.
It's better that you spent quality time with your girls than that you watched the inauguration. I think it was momentous also but I didn't get to watch it either, too busy packing. All that said, regardless of what you did Tuesday, I think you are a wonderful mother. You amaze me in so many ways. Those girls are so blessed to have you as their mother. You are great example to me.
I did watch most of it. I actually missed the actual inaguration because I went and visited a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. But all of the hype before and after got to be a lot like a three ring circus. But the point is no matter what you can't get that time back, what a great opportunity you had to turn off the TV and see those two beautiful girls for the wonderful people they are. I think you picked the best of the two good choices. You can always have your kids watch the inaguration on line, because almost anything seen on TV can be seen again on the internet, but spending time with your children is best spent today. We should all take time and turn off the tv and spend it on our children.
Aww, thanks everyone.
Post a Comment