
...I'm passionate. I mean, overall too but in this case it's about something specific. It's probably because of my upbringing, genetics, something. But, I have a beef. As many of you know, I am studying nutrition in hopes of going on to grad school and becoming a dietitian. I love learning and I love food and nutrition, so I am especially passionate about healthy diets. I'm also working as a diet tech in long term care facilities. I help the dietitian with the clinical nutrition stuff--watching weight changes, making sure people are getting proper nutrition to heal etc.--but my special project is helping people who want to lose weight. (as long as they get proper nutrition) I want to tell the whole story, but I feel uncomfortable posting certain details on line. I don't want to violate anyone's privacy. I simply have this to say:
Dear Mental Health Professional (and diet saboteurs everywhere),
Since when is it a good thing to encourage a person to "cheat" on their diet? Do you really think it was helpful to ruin all the hard work that this person, whom you claim to care about, has been doing for several weeks? Don't you realize how hard it is to stick to a diet plan when all around you are sweet, high calorie treats?
That burger you bought had 1030 calories, 660 calories from fat, 74 grams of fat, 27 grams of saturated fat, 2050 mg sodium! That doesn't even include the large order of onion rings, mayonnaise-based dipping sauce, and giant soda included with the meal. You got so upset at the person who "told" on you because your friend was "made to feel" like they were in trouble. Did you fail to consider that this person had been one of your friend's most dilegent supporters? No, your friend wasn't in trouble, YOU were! In addition to the physiological health problems this ONE MEAL could cause, why did you (a MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL) not consider the emotional consequence of allowing your friend to cheat on their diet? What about tomorrow when they are faced with the constant pressure of avoiding the daily ice cream that is offered to everyone? It would be so easy for your friend to think, "well, I already failed yesterday, so I might as well give up on this and have the ice cream." You should know better! I'm the nutrition specialist. You wouldn't like me treating their mental health, would you? I noticed you have a bit of a weight problem too. I don't judge people by their weight because all circumstances are different, but it leads me to question whether your motives for ruining your friend's diet are truly altruistic. Do you not want to see your friend succeed at something you can't? Do you really believe that waggleing a person's vice in front of them is kind? You aren't going to be there when they look at the scale and see the weight gain.
WE are, the people who support them EVERY DAY, the people who have cheered for every ounce lost, and comforted them through the pain of changing their lifestyle. It's HARD to lose weight. It's hard to be disciplined. And doubly so for this particular person. How could you? There was no social reason, no special occasion, it was purely thoughtless! AND sneaky! You told me you were getting a salad! I have spent hours with your friend, day after day, you came in ONE TIME and in one fell swoop, possibly ruined the work of many people. You bet, I'm mad! You bet, the rest of the staff was mad! I only hope that the advice I gave you friend was well received. I hope they get a terrible stomach ache and gastric distress and realize what that burger did to them. Maybe this will be a good thing if the lesson is learned. Next time you have a friend who is trying to live healthier, maybe you can learn from them instead of trying to bring them down. I truly hope something in your life will motivate you to address the problem you have. Obviously, your education and profession haven't given you the catalyst you needed. Good luck to you, and please don't interfere with my work again.
That burger you bought had 1030 calories, 660 calories from fat, 74 grams of fat, 27 grams of saturated fat, 2050 mg sodium! That doesn't even include the large order of onion rings, mayonnaise-based dipping sauce, and giant soda included with the meal. You got so upset at the person who "told" on you because your friend was "made to feel" like they were in trouble. Did you fail to consider that this person had been one of your friend's most dilegent supporters? No, your friend wasn't in trouble, YOU were! In addition to the physiological health problems this ONE MEAL could cause, why did you (a MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL) not consider the emotional consequence of allowing your friend to cheat on their diet? What about tomorrow when they are faced with the constant pressure of avoiding the daily ice cream that is offered to everyone? It would be so easy for your friend to think, "well, I already failed yesterday, so I might as well give up on this and have the ice cream." You should know better! I'm the nutrition specialist. You wouldn't like me treating their mental health, would you? I noticed you have a bit of a weight problem too. I don't judge people by their weight because all circumstances are different, but it leads me to question whether your motives for ruining your friend's diet are truly altruistic. Do you not want to see your friend succeed at something you can't? Do you really believe that waggleing a person's vice in front of them is kind? You aren't going to be there when they look at the scale and see the weight gain.
WE are, the people who support them EVERY DAY, the people who have cheered for every ounce lost, and comforted them through the pain of changing their lifestyle. It's HARD to lose weight. It's hard to be disciplined. And doubly so for this particular person. How could you? There was no social reason, no special occasion, it was purely thoughtless! AND sneaky! You told me you were getting a salad! I have spent hours with your friend, day after day, you came in ONE TIME and in one fell swoop, possibly ruined the work of many people. You bet, I'm mad! You bet, the rest of the staff was mad! I only hope that the advice I gave you friend was well received. I hope they get a terrible stomach ache and gastric distress and realize what that burger did to them. Maybe this will be a good thing if the lesson is learned. Next time you have a friend who is trying to live healthier, maybe you can learn from them instead of trying to bring them down. I truly hope something in your life will motivate you to address the problem you have. Obviously, your education and profession haven't given you the catalyst you needed. Good luck to you, and please don't interfere with my work again.With warmest regards,
Kelli
Now, I don't intend for this person to actually read this. I don't judge people by what they eat or how they look, so please no one take this wrong. I simple cannot tolerate a person--who should really know better because it's their job--messing with a person's head like this. All I have been learning for the past 3 years is how damaging a poor diet can be. I KNOW this stuff! I LIVE this stuff! I practice what I preach (with the occasional slip-up) and I feel sad when people really don't get it and, almost like drug pushers, try to convince me to, "just take one," or enjoy the "special occasion" etc. I KNOW how hard it is; it's truly an addiction, and when there are chips, cookies, ice cream in front of me, it's hard to turn them down and get carrots and celery instead--and I have the choice, unlike residents in a care center.
So, moral of the story is: if you know someone who is dieting, be supportive, don't offer them cookies, cakes, ice cream, cheese cake, pie etc. I'm not saying you can't eat it, but don't make a big deal of it. Some people can eat like crazy and never gain an ounce and others can smell food and put on 10 pounds. Praise them for successes, comfort them through the hard times. It's just like withdrawal from an addiction, but you can't go cold turkey on food. It is emotionally and physically trying to lose weight. But, with friends who support them, they will be able to succeed.
The worst diet food to have to eat is crow. And I have to eat it. Seriously. This is why I'm so glad I got to vent this on my blog instead of mess up relationships with people. I found out that this resident requested the burger, felt better after eating it, and talked to me again today about going back on the diet. Also, the mental health professional told me they were very glad that I spoke to the individual the way I did because it was respectful. So, Thanks for letting me vent, and I'll see if I can find a tasty recipe for crow.



3 comments:
I'll second this post Kelli, as will others in my office :)
Wow, that was tough love, but I guess that is what we all need. Note to self don't get kelli mad. I do hope that I have been supportive of you in your efforts, even if my efforts to eat healthier come up a little short. It also gives a good perspective to us all about wether or not we are supportive of our family and friends in all the things that they are involved in.
I agree!!! i tis seriously harder to turn down unhealthy food when you have a loved one or friend pushing it into your face. I love you and all your craziness. All I kept thinking was how much you sound like Jillian on Biggest Looser.
Post a Comment