Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Best News

It's been a wild 3 years since I decided to go back to school. In one more week, I will FINALLY get my degree! I have such a feeling of accomplishment. In the last 3 years, I have gained a few pounds along with a great deal of knowledge; I have acquired a few wrinkles along with a few certifications; I have learned a lot and a lot about myself. I have accomplished many goals, and made many new ones. I have done things I never thought I could do and remembered how to do things I had forgotten. And now, I emerge from this gauntlet a little older and wiser...and very hopeful for the future.

My schooling had been dedicated to the idea that as soon as I received my bachelor's degree, I would move on to get my Master's. That hope was set back, however, during Spring Break when I received a letter from the University of Utah in which the first word was not "Congratulations, " but rather, "Unfortunately." Although I was certain I would be accepted, for some reason, I was only an alternate. It must be the new wisdom that convinced me to pick myself up, and contact the program director asking for a bit more direction to understand why I didn't get accepted. My ambition must have been just what they needed from me and last week, I received a phone call from the program director offering me a position in the class beginning in the fall!

I am constantly amazed at how things work out. Those weeks between being rejected and accepted forced me to consider options I had not given much thought to. I was also humbled and forced to put greater effort into my current studies. I did a lot of prayer to help me understand God's will. It is comforting to know that my original plan will work, but I tend to think that I needed to be more flexible in my plans in order to fulfill my greatest potential. Now, I am doing an internship in a personal training gym and can see myself as a personal trainer to supplement my income and experience. I had ignored that possibility before. I also believe that I could potentially try medical school or PA school in the future when I didn't believe enough in myself before.

Thank you to all my friends and family who have believed in me and supported me! I will honor all of you with my graduation on May 1st at 12:30 at the Austad Auditorium in the Val Browning Center. Please let me know if you would like to come. I love you all!

10 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations! That is such an aweseome accomplishment and I really admire you for it!

joni said...

Congrats!! That is a huge accomplishment, something to be very very proud of. Way to have the guts to go back and ask. That's something I wouldn't have been able to do!

Jenny said...

Wow - Carrera was telling me about you, and I could not think about how she was talking about. Then when I got your comment, I realized I was thinking about my time at STARS, not my time at Performance Dance. Lightbulb! I can't believe you still remember me! That was such a long time ago. Your family is beautiful, and it looks like you're doing really well.

Jeremy and Nichole said...

KELLI!!! :) I am so excited for you! And so proud of you! I new it would all work out for you!!!

Nichole

Could it get any better then THIS? said...

Congratulations..That is amazing.. I just signed myself up for college I start May 18th..TERRIFIED...CONGRATS though...

Kboigirl said...

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of you!

Ginger said...

Way to go Kelli! You really can do anything!

Kati said...

My big sister rocks!! Good job and I am excited for you to start the graduate program!!

Shelise said...

Hey where are you? Do you still exist?

Shelise said...

Hey Where are you these days? Haven't heard from you in forever. What's going on? Don't you have a little more time now that you are done with school?..... yeah right!