
Due to a little bit of procrastination and a lot of weather, I planted my tomatoes late this year. I was lucky, because my tomatoes didn't freeze like a lot of my friends' did. I wanted to keep it simple and got some nice slicing tomatoes (Celebrity) and what I thought were some cute little golden cherry tomatoes. Well, I didn't get the cherry tomatoes, but much to my surprise and delight, I got some full-sized orange slicing tomatoes! They are so pretty and tasty. In my multi-cultural nutrition class, the teacher mentioned caprese salad, so I just had to make one. Here is the recipe:
Caprese Salad
fresh tomatoes
fresh basil
ciliegini (mozarella balls)
balsamic vinegar
olive oil
salt and pepper
Slice the tomatoes and put them in a bowl. Add a chiffonade of fresh basil. Toss in mozarella balls. (cut in half if you like) Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, toss, then drizzle olive oil and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste. This salad defines the flavor of late summer and the bounty of your garden. Enjoy.



No comments:
Post a Comment