
We all get it. It's that feeling that we're ruining our kids or not being quite good enough. That maybe we were too tough, or not tough enough. That we should have given up our own haircut--pair of shoes, even dentist appointment--so our kids could have something they want or need. We smother them, we don't spend enough time with them. They ate leftover cake and chocolate milk for breakfast. It's Satan's way of making us forget the importance of this divine calling of motherhood. That these children are our sacred stewardship and that they have been entrusted into our care.
Some days I think I've got it made and that I'm being a perfect parent, and then I'm shaken off my pedestal when they push my buttons so much that I blow up. Each night I pray that I can be a better parent and that for every mistake I make, Heavenly Father will help to fill in the blanks and make sure that the kids grow up safe and happy.
As parents I think we try our best. We're not perfect, but when we teach with love and have an honest desire to do what's right, we will be able to raise our children in righteousness. So tonight I make two healthy home lunches with a peanut butter sandwich cut into the shape of a heart and a special surprise treat, with a little note about how much I love them. Next week might be a last minute container of cereal with 35 cents for a carton of milk. I want to be the perfect mom, but ultimately it's my job to teach them who they are so the confidence of knowing they are children of God will shine through their countenances and they will be ever more beautiful and happy.
I will send the girls off to school tomorrow to learn about the world and how to relate to others. They will come home bursting with news of new teachers and friends. I hope I've given them the tools they need to make good choices and be good examples.



No comments:
Post a Comment